It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Costuming Resources Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 pm 

This here thread is intended as a repository for costuming links, as well as pictures, how to’s and useful bit’s and pieces.

So you’re a newbie to the 40K verse and have no idea of what things look like? Google Image Search is your friend, as is the Games Workshop website and the wiki Lexicanum. Given the wealth of material (Official and fan made) out there there’s no shortage whatsoever of inspiration for you.

The photo galleries for the UK LARP Death unto Darkness are well worth checking out, as is the 40K costuming forum Obscurus Crusade. And for those with a lot of time and technical expertise I’ve seen a guy who made his own Terminator Chaplain suit! I look forward to players trying to top it, with some already making a damn good start on that. :)

Got a character concept now? Good – go nuts. The 40K verse is massive and can accommodate all manner of things. Some branches of the Imperium have a basic uniform, like Imperial Guard regiments or the red robes of the Adeptus Mechanicus, but there’s plenty of room to make yourself stand out. Such things can range from military dress uniform to priests robes to look, just use your imagination and it’ll work. Things like long robes, greatcoats and cloaks never go astray though.

Props wise big and chunky is the go – staves, books (None of this paperback nonsense, I mean ones you can beat people to death with), walking sticks and gadgets – preferably with lights on fit the universe. As for decorations – too much is barely enough. These can range from tattoos, scars and military decorations to devotional icons or purity seals for the more pious of you. Pouches, bandoleers, bandanas and shoulder bags can be used if you need to carry kit. And yes, the Rule of Awesome is most definitely in effect.

Both your character’s class and home world can help inform your costuming. From a Fortress World? Odds are you’ll be in uniform. At the other end of the spectrum the iconic Death World, Catachan, seems to produce Rambo clones. Feel free to break the stereotype though – that can make things more interesting. The scummier types normally resemble an Mad Max/Escape from New York crossover, while the nobility are clad in the finest (Read: flamboyant) clothing known to mankind.

Ebay is, as always your friend (Or enemy depending on budget) and Etsy has a lot of steampunk gear and holsters for Nerf guns. For those looking for armour motor cross and paintball/airsoft kit sprayed up works wonders, while those looking for more bulk in the shoulders American football gear is cheaper (And safer!) than steroids.

Closer to home Gallery Serpentine and The Dark Angel are good for coats and gothic wear (A Rogue Trader not impeccably dressed? For shame!), while Kinky Angel (Stop it!) have some gorgeous looking Napoleonic style jackets, as well as numerous other pieces of garb.

Lastly, it wouldn’t be the 40K verse if we didn’t mention weapons. While not technically necessary as it’s a non combat freeform there’s nothing so satisfying as toting a huge hand cannon about. The current range of Nerf guns can, with some sandpaper, paint and plasticard, look incredibly 40K while the new water guns they’re doing look so much like flamers it’s not funny. Heck, there’s even one that’s a bazooka. A freakin’ BAZOOKA.

That should help you get’s things going – further contributions are welcome.

"Ostendo sum polarity of quietus flow"

Post subject: Re: The Costuming Resources Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 pm 

I'd like to contribute something to this thread, but I can't think of anything to add right now.

One of the things I really like about the costuming of the guys over at Death Unto Darkness is the sense of uniformity they manage to pull off; but I think Rogue Trader by it's nature is more a game of individuals (The people who would be wearing the costumes with the sense of uniformity are the countless lesser minions on the ship that no-one plays as a character).

Damon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm 

VII wrote:
I'd like to contribute something to this thread, but I can't think of anything to add right now.

A rough idea of how you put together that Tech Priest outfit? Or just what went into it? I'd certainly read that. :)

VII wrote:
One of the things I really like about the costuming of the guys over at Death Unto Darkness is the sense of uniformity they manage to pull off; but I think Rogue Trader by it's nature is more a game of individuals (The people who would be wearing the costumes with the sense of uniformity are the countless lesser minions on the ship that no-one plays as a character).

A couple of folks on their forum commented on that when the first game shots turned up there. I did like the way each crew may have looked different when assembled, but you could tell who was playing what position without too much trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 pm 

The Warhammer 40K Costume and Prop Archive has a mass of pictures of costumed folks - good source of inspiration and ideas even if it does keep opening popups for screensavers.

Secondly, some of the good folks of Death unto Darkness have whipped up a printable Book of Battlefield Prayer that some of our Missionary's (And the more pious PC's) could use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm 

Gav wrote:
Secondly, some of the good folks of Death unto Darkness have whipped up a printable Book of Battlefield Prayer that some of our Missionary's (And the more pious PC's) could use.

COULD use? Are using, my dear young lad. Thanks.

While i'm here, I'm looking for a sheet of brass or copper, about 20cm square, that is firm enough to be cut into an intricate shape (Aquillus) without crumpling or being bent with moderate use, but still soft enough to cut with hand tools (ie I don't have a metalworking workshop). Would anyone know of a location, preferably close to Parramatta, where such an item may be obtained?

Thanks

aka Ben Kemp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm 

Glad it helps. Good to know it's appreciated.

I can't help you for for places that sell copper (Though I'm sure someone here can), but I do know that Forge World sell sheets of brass Aquilas, in various sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 pm 

A&E Metals is primarily a jewelry design place, but does have some sheet metals - www.aemetal.com.au
I've purchased there before and it's always been easy and good quality.
Copper from http://www.aemetal.com.au/Webstore/c-552-copper.aspx

Bunnings and hobyshops (for instance Hobbyco) can also have good stuff

Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting, http://metaloffcuts.co.uk/ is pretty good if you're buying a couple of things, but then you have ecnomy of shipping vs. cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm 

Some more costume stores:
Mask and Scarf are an airsoft supply store with a good range of kit and speedy shipping (Having used them myself recently). Granted, it's costume and not 'authentic' kit (As the disclaimer say's, 'Dummy armor plate cannot withstand real bullet'), but it looks good and is substantially cheaper than the real thing!

Dein Larp Shop have a vast array of good looking gear, but shipping to Australia has a flat rate of 34,50 € on order's up to 249.99 €. The Viking Store has LARP weapons with Imperial aquilas on them, thought they aren't cheap either.

Lastly, Medieval Fight Club while mostly medieval kit (Funnily) have some gear that could be converted and are Australian to boot!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:15 pm 

I'm a little late to the party with this, but I thought I'd throw in one or two more places I've found useful:

-Sock Dreams: I picked up the hook-and-eye socks I wore at the last session there, as well as a set of steampunky leg warmers I saw advertised on one of the sites Gav suggested.

-American sci-fi/fantasy conventions. I realize most folks here are not planning to go to any of those anytime soon, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. If you have some money to spend and prefer to buy rather than make, the vendors halls at conventions like Dragon*Con are a great one-stop resource for costuming - tons of people selling corsets, steampunk accessories, medieval costuming and accessories, weapons, kimonos, cloaks, fangs, colored contact lenses, wigs, masks, leather everything, fetish gear... if you follow the link to the Dragon*Con site, there's a big list of their vendors, many of whom have websites that are linked on that page.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:33 pm 

There's new photos from the most recent Death unto Darkness event here and here.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next